Monday, November 6, 2006

Charity hockey....

is always fun. Especially when you include igor Larionov and Mr. Hockey himself, Gordie Howe. Forget Gretzky, Howe is the real deal. Gretzky doesn't hold a candle to this man. He did it all. he could shoot, skate, pass, score and most importantly - fight. This man has fists of steel.
There was a charity hockey game at Staples after the last Kings Ducks game (which the Kings managed to squeeze a point out of...) to benefit Cystic Fibrosis. A worthy cause. the Staples Center ushers screwed the seating up. Even though you paid for seats, they stuck you in the non-paid seats. I didn't know you didn't have to pay to see the game. I thought it was ticket purchases only. I still would have bought the tickets because it went towards charity.
Well, come to find out, I could have sat in the good seats, the ones behind the player benches but because all of the ushers at Staples never graduated from High School, they can't follow directions.
It took almost an hour for the game to start - they had to go through the player introductions and a presentation by someone who has Cystic Fibrosis. The one bad aspect - the fact that Gordie Howe didn't sign autographs. In the email I received from the Kings it stated that there would be a Meet and Greet with Gordie. When I got there, I found out they were auctioning off 2 lucky winners to meet with him and get their pictures taken. Only two. People were walking away. Do you know how much money they could have raised for CF if they guy had sat there and signed autographs? But no, only two people won that honor. That sucks. I really wanted to meet him. How often does someone like Gordie Freakin' Howe come to town? Seriously.
So, how close did I actually get?
Jumbotron close. Thanks to the Ushers at Staples Center....

I guess that will have to do for now. One of these days, I'll get to meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment