Friday, February 25, 2011

I. Love. You.

Valentines Day was fun in the Weinstock household.  I took it a bit further this year than in previous years and made fun food.

Heart. Shaped. Everything.  Oh yeah.  And I think I'll expand on it more next year.  I saw ideas for heart shaped hamburgers and buns.  Heart shaped pancakes.  Heart shaped......  You get the idea.  So I picked up everything heart shaped for the kitchen when it went on sale the day after.  I'm all prepared.

Here's what I did do this year.

Heart Shaped Rice Krispy Treats - I made these mostly for the Bake Sale at the school the week before but I made another batch for lunches and snacks.  I tinted them.  Yes I did.  Teal, pink and purple.
For Nicks class Valentines I had this great idea to sew up some felt hearts and fill them with goodies I found at Target.  That was until the construction started and I lost my bag of red, white and pink felt.

Which I found the morning of Valentines Day.  Right where I left it.  Right by my desk in the office.
So I threw these together at the last minute.

Cars for the boys and Tinkerbelle for the girls.  Generic boxed valentines attached to treat bags filled with the goodies I bought.  Mini erasers, mini paper pads, pencils, conversation hearts etc.

I made the cute tags on top.  Bakers Twine (Because we have so much of it!)  I punched a 1 inch heart out of kraft paper and stamped 'Be Mine' with a new Cats Life Press stamp.  Its stamped with Jenni Bowlin Cough Syrup ink.  I added the pink crystal.  The scalloped circle behind that is a sticker from Paper Source on a punched scallop circle.

Each of his teachers (Ms. Kim, Ms. Irma and Ms. Barbara) each got a mini book with quotes and chocolate hearts from See's Candy.  
For dinner, I made steak.  I decorated the table with a red tablecloth, felt hearts, candles, and the flowers from my husband.






Dessert was cupcakes.  I took the time to make frosting instead of using the canned stuff.  Tastes so much better too.

And I made brownies too.  Used the same heart shaped cookie cutter to cut them out and then made a brownie sundae.  Yum!
Earlier in the week, my grandparents had us over for dinner (they went on a Valentines Cruise).  Nick got his box of See's Candy.  This is a family tradition and this year was the 50th year.  We used to get the really cool heart shaped boxes but lately, they are just too expensive so we each get our own personalized box of chocolate.  Our favorite kinds are in there instead of the mix.

50 years my grandfather has given us these boxes.  All the women in the family.  Except one year when they went to Hawaii for Valentines.  When he got home, we let him have it.  He hasn't missed a year since.  He had no idea we looked forward to these.
Finally, his shirt for Valentines.

3 comments:

  1. awww... I love your grandpa story!! So cute!

    And that shirt?! to die!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are always very excited for valentines day, as I like to make a nice breakfest and decorate the table with some chocolate goodies for both the boys.you made a lovely table as well. and what a cutie is your son wearing his valentines shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeekkkk....those V-treats are so adorable! I love them all. Such a beautiful celebration u had there :)

    ReplyDelete